Tuesday, February 20th
By: Justin Luby
“The Google of job searching”, as some would call it. CareerShift can be accessed from the dashboard of the Wittenberg Job Board – just click the “CareerShift” logo at the bottom of the page.
From here, create an account by using the password reset system. This is a paid service, however your personal subscription to the service is paid for by Wittenberg! Now how great is that. All you need to do is use your Wittenberg email in the sign up process.
CareerShift allows you to search for jobs that are posted on tons of different career websites (i.e. Indeed, Monster, GlassDoor, LinkedIn, etc.) for the best search results possible. The jobs posted on these already existing Career sites are compiled and are able to be searched all in one place on CareerShift. If you were not going to use CareerShift, you would go to several different job sites, create a separate profile on each one, and do a separate search on each one. On top of all of this you’ll have to fill out surveys, watch ads, and create accounts on each of them to even use it. CareerShift eliminates all of these problems! Just type in a simple keyword and found THOUSANDS of listings.
Along with the mass amount of job listings you’ll find on CareerShift come the ability to filter your results however you want. You can customize the jobs you are viewing by city, region, state, or even country so that you can find the exact location you want to work in. An especially convenient filter option is the job type option, which will allow you to decide to view listings that classify as things such as a full-time job, an internship, a part-time job, etc. The system is incredibly easy to use and has served so many students well so far!
That summer internship deadline continues to approach, so take initiative on your search while you still can. This is the best online resource out there, so be sure to check it out because search results are nearly guaranteed. If you’re having trouble using CareerShift, stop by Career Services so we can show you how to open the door to endless opportunities posted by companies and recruiters across the nation!
Tuesday, February 20th
By: Justin Luby
It’s almost that time of the semester! Thursday, February 22nd marks the date for the spring job and internship fair on campus. Here are the details:
Date – Thursday, February 22nd
Time – 11:50 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
Location – Geil Lounge (Basement of the Student Center)
This is the easiest possible way to get into contact with great companies and recruiters of the field you’re interested in! On this day, Career Services will bring 35 recruiters, all from different companies and fields of interest, into the Geil Lounge in the basement of the student center. These recruiters will have tables set up just waiting for Wittenberg students to come inquire about their jobs and internship programs. Remember, they chose to come to Wittenberg to recruit students – they obviously want to hire students from our campus!
This opportunity couldn’t be any more convenient for you – a simple walk to the student center opens a door to tons of job opportunities meant for Wittenberg students like you. Don’t miss it! Before you head over, complete this checklist to ensure that you’re ready for a good day of job hunting:
Print some copies of your resume
Practice an elevator pitch
Have a smile on your face
Come to Career Services. We can help you check off anything else on this list and make sure you’re as prepared as can be for the fair!
These job and internship fairs have worked wonders for Wittenberg students in the past and will do the same for you! This is a wonderful chance for you to land that summer internship you’ve been waiting for all year. We look forward to seeing you there!
February 6th, 2018
By: Justin Luby 19’
Have you ever thought about going to graduate school? Well, Career Services is here to help! On February 15th, a large amount of graduate and professional schools will be on campus looking to speak with Wittenberg students about the opportunities they offer. This is the easiest way to check out multiple graduate schools at a time and get a feel for what you want to do after graduation – you don’t even have to leave campus! There are lots of recruiters attending from plenty of fantastic graduate school programs, which include:
- Antioch University Midwest
- Art Academy of Cincinnati
- Baldwin-Wallace University
- Bethany Theological Seminary
- Capital University
- University of Cincinnati
- Central Michigan University
- Indiana University
- Kent State University
- Miami University (OH)
- Mount St. Joseph University
- Ohio Northern University
- The Ohio State University
- St. George’s University
- The University of Akron
- University of Dayton
- University of Louisville
- Urbana University
- Ursuline College
- Wittenberg University
- Xavier University
So you are probably wondering – do they have a graduate program for me or my major? Most of the graduate school recruiters attending are general program recruiters, meaning that they are recruiting for all of the graduate programs that school has to offer – anything from business, to science, to communication, etc. There’s a program for almost every major!
Along with general recruiters, some schools will bring multiple recruiters that specialize in different programs that their university has to offer. For example, Ohio State will have four recruiters present, each of which will specialize in a different program – Business, Education, Law, and Public health. This will give you the chance to talk to more major specific recruiters along with the general recruiters.
Date: February 15th, 2018
Time: 11:50 A.M. – 2 P.M.
Location: Geil Lounge, basement of the Student Center
- Formal attire is not necessarily required for this event. Don’t wear sweatpants, but don’t feel the need to come in full suit.
- You’re bound to find the program that you’re looking for at multiple schools that will be attending the fair, so be sure to come take a look!
- It’s never too early to start making connections, so please feel free to come and explore the different programs and meet recruiters even if you’re very far away from making a graduate school decision.
- And as always, come into career services beforehand and see us – we’ll answer your questions and help you prepare for the fair
January 25th , 2018
By: Justin Luby 19’
Calling all students looking for jobs and internships! The OIFC Career Fest is coming up on February 2nd, from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. at the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus.
The OIFC CareerFest is one of the largest career fairs held annually in the state of Ohio. This fair is hosted by The Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges, meaning that only students from private colleges and universities in Ohio are welcomed to attend. Therefore, this would mean that hundreds and hundreds of companies and recruiters attend the fair, but only the students of the 33 universities that qualify are allowed to attend – pretty cool right? This opens a world of opportunity for you, and most likely will be the single greatest thing you can do this year to earn that internship or job you’ve been looking for.
- Date: February 2nd, 2018
- Time: 10:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
- Location: Ohio Expo Center (Cardinal Hall)
- Address: 717 E 17th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211
- Free Parking and Admission
- You must register prior to attending! To register, click here
- Need transportation there? To get a ride, click here
- Dress formally and look professional
- Don’t forget to bring plenty of copies of your resume, as you could end up handing out more than you anticipated for
- Go earlier in the day for best results and more time to search
- Meet as many recruiters as you can – with hundreds of recruiters there, you’re bound to find something that’ll be a great fit for you
- Come see us in Career Services before you go! Let us double check your résumé, assist you in writing a cover letter, or help you prepare yourself to talk to recruiters.
You won’t regret attending! This is most likely the best opportunity you’ll have all year, so take advantage of this resource while you still can. Any questions about the career fair, registration, etc. can be directed towards Career Services.
January 18th, 2018
By: Justin Luby ’19
You just came back to campus from Christmas break and you’re heading into your spring semester – what’s the first thing you do? Well that’s a tough answer, but if you ask Career Services, beginning the process of landing a summer internship should your first step!
So, how do you start? Luckily, we’ve got lots of good leads for you:
- The OIFC CareerFest – One of the largest, most attended career fairs in Ohio! This fair is held on February 2nd at the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus and is open only to students of private colleges and universities in Ohio. There will be hundreds of recruiters and thousands of opportunities that companies across the nation want to fill with students like yourself! You will not get a better chance to network and meet recruiters than you will at this event, so consider making the trip to Columbus – it’ll be well worth your time and effort.
- The Spring Job and Internship Fair – This is the easiest possible way to get into contact with great companies and recruiters of the field you’re interested in! On February 22nd, Career Services will bring 35 recruiters, all from different companies and fields of interest, into the Geil Lounge in the basement of the student center. At this point, all you’ll need to do is dress formally, print some copies of your resume, and have a smile on your face. These companies chose to come to Wittenberg to recruit students – they obviously want to hire students from our campus! These job and internship fairs have worked wonders for Wittenberg students in the past and will do the same for you.
- The New Wittenberg Tiger Den Job Board – An awesome campus resource. The jobs that make up this board are posted by companies around the nation specifically on Wittenberg’s Job Board, meaning they are specifically inquiring about Wittenberg students. Log into the job seeker and start searching for jobs and internships in your field, as there are currently over 300 opportunities posted. If you’re ever having trouble logging in or need assistance searching the job board for what you want, stop by Career Services during walk-ins or make an appointment so we can help.
- CareerShift – “The Google of job searching”, as some would call it. CareerShift can be accessed from the dashboard of the Wittenberg Job Board – just click the “CareerShift” logo at the bottom of the page and create an account by using the password reset system. This service is paid for by Wittenberg and it allows you to search for jobs that are posted on tons of different career websites (i.e. Indeed, Monster, GlassDoor, LinkedIn, etc.) for the best search results possible. This is the best online resource out there, so be sure to check it out because search results are nearly guaranteed. If you’re having trouble using CareerShift, stop by Career Services so we can show you how to open the door to endless opportunities posted by companies and recruiters across the nation.
Start the New Year off right and secure an internship early on in the spring! This is the prime hiring time for summer interns, so take action while you have the most options available to you. If you’re struggling, come see us in room 210 in the Compass Sweet Success Center, main floor of the Thomas Library and we’ll get you back on track in no time!
By Samantha Martens
I’m going to apologize now, because this blog might sound a little repetitive, but we don’t want you to forget anything that might be helpful to think about over break!
- Your résumé is begging you to take another look at it during Winter Break. We in Career Services advise you to have one résumé that is a compilation of everything you have ever done, just to keep track of all of it. From there, think about designing a résumé or two that are a little more specific. Are you interested in becoming a teacher? Create a résumé that includes only the work experiences that would be relevant to a teaching position. Are you hoping to work in a hospital? Design your résumé so that it highlights the volunteering you’ve done at your local hospital, or be sure to include the time you helped with the patients at the Rocking Horse Center. This list of examples could go on and on…
- If you have any questions regarding your résumé or cover letter, be sure to schedule an appointment with the Career Services Office! We can be reached in person or at (937) 327-7521. And don’t forget that our Walk-In Hours are from 1:30pm-4:15pm on Mondays and Thursdays. We really want to help you feel prepared for anything that life throws your way, so stop on by!
- Remember that we have all kinds of internship/job/grad school information right outside of our office! There is a table in front of Teresa’s office (located in Thomas Library’s Compass: Sweet Success Center) with folders of job descriptions, grad school programs, and internship opportunities just for you! There’s also a TON of free stuff from employers and recruiters that we would love for you to take.
Also, our Facebook page has a multitude of possible internships, part-time, and full-time job options just for you! Keep your eye out for anything that suits your fancy, and take advantage of it while you can. If you get bored over Winter Break, check us out and see if there are any opportunities that stand out to you.
If you have ANY questions at all, please make an appointment or stop by Walk-Ins! We’re only here to help.
We in Career Services hope that you all have a relaxing and fun Winter Break! See you next semester!!